Do nontraditional students generally talk too much in class? The jury is out.

Some younger students complain that nontraditional students talk too much in class.

I can understand why. I used to WANT to share my experiences. And sometimes it's just an overwhelming WANT - - to share.

I was largely over my shyness and didn't really care what other people in class thought of me anymore either.

So.... when I could, I would raise my hand in class. Then, I started noticing that I was talking TOO MUCH. I had to almost sit on my hand after that.

So you think you might be talking too much? It's not as hard of a problem maybe in online classes, or maybe it is. I like to think that nontraditional students usually SHOW UP more than other students, wherever they are. And they have a wealth of experience. Some people like that. Others also want to share, so I think I learned to appreciate that the more classes I took. I know I could see a change in myself in many ways between the first and second time I went to school.

So, what do you think? Is talking too much in class a problem for you? Or do you see it happening yourself? Do you think older students need to take a back seat sometimes and NOT share too much?

I do. I say, let the other students have a turn! But if they don't have anything to say, jump right in. You have a LOT of interesting things to share.

Betsyanne

Other, recent postings:

12 Tips for Nontraditional Students (Fall 2013)

Back to School (Fall 2013) Popular Postings to help Nontraditional Students Out

Are you a Nontraditional Student? Support Sites for You.

President Obama's talk at the University of New York - plus free colleges - a link from the Find Scholarships and Grants blog - See more at: http://non-traditional-students.blogspot.com/2013/08/president-obamas-talk-at-university-of.html#sthash.uEZvrfYE.dpuf
President Obama's talk at the University of New York - plus free colleges - a link from the Find Scholarships and Grants blog - See more at: http://non-traditional-students.blogspot.com/2013/08/president-obamas-talk-at-university-of.html#sthash.uEZvrfYE.dpuf
President Obama's Talk at the University of New York - plus Free Colleges - a link from the Find Scholarships and Grants Blog

Here are some related links:

(This person thinks it's OK for nontrads to talk a lot in class!) No-apology Tips for Nontraditional Students

More blogs from nontraditional students

Study Groups for Nontraditional Students

My Nontrad links: 

The Nontrad site and blog

 Nontrads on Yahoo

Join Nontrads on Facebook

and Nontrads on Twitter


3. Some Nontrad links: The Nontrad site and blog Join Nontrads on Facebook Nontrads on Yahoo Nontrads on Twitter - See more at: http://non-traditional-students.blogspot.com/2013/09/12-tips-for-nontraditional-students.html#sthash.9paLi4ez.dpuf


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comment. I would love that! :-)