Some Study and Final Project Tips


Tips for Final Projects and Studying...
Do you have some Final Projects and Test Studying coming up? If you are in school right now, chances are you do, especially if you are an Education student or an Art student. I was most recently an Education student. These tips will help nontraditional students with Spring semester studies and projects.

Education Students
I found that completing projects early, if possible, helped me a lot. I could then fix any problems OR go to the teacher or professor for his or her advice before the project was due. I got some very constructive and useful criticism that way. Of course, there is no time for this if you are doing your assignments the last minute, which I also used to do.

Art Students
My projects took ALL my time, it seemed, when I had studio classes. One way around that dilemma could have been to start earlier on them. I always UNDERestimated the time my projects would take. Weaving students: (this is funny, but true for me...) use THICKER yarn. I used very thin yarn, and my final handweaving project took forever. It was pretty big, so that was also part of it. On the good side, I did get it on an Art Department slide!

All Students
Writing down my OWN deadlines and using them in a calendar or planner helped me a lot. I split up my assignments and had "due dates" for each part of them. What a change from my first time in school! That time, I would simply wait until the last week, and do my best to write reports in a limited time. I'm sure the quality of my writing suffered a lot. Plus, I was not able to change anything, because I barely got them done by the deadline.

Some of my other Study and Final Project tips:
1. Cut down on TV watching if you are studying at the same time by yourself. I personally don't (sometimes) mind TV on, but other times I get more done at a library setting. Or you can set a home study place up if you have room.
2. Make flash cards for must-know facts.
3. Consider making a study group for last-minute or weeks-before studying.
4. Ask your teacher or professor questions about what will be on the test or quiz - sometimes this helped me.
5. If in doubt of a due date, ask a fellow classmate.
6. Use a highlighter to highlight important facts on your notes. I used to type my notes up, which added another layer of understanding for me.
7. Reward yourself for getting things done. This doesn't have to be a food reward, but maybe buying a little something for yourself might be fun and break up the study monotony.
8. Stay organized - - looking for an assignment sheet instead of having the extra time later can be counterproductive.
9. Practice calming techniques before a test, including telling yourself you CAN do it, and deep breathing.
10. Keep a positive attitude. This helps me with stress, which can sideline me if I keep thinking about stressful things. Keep your energy for your studies.

These other postings (below) will also help you with tests, studying, and projects. Please list your tips as comments too.

I would appreciate that, and will try to use them here or in future postings to help other nontraditional students.

More resources from the Nontraditional Student blog:
Clobber your Test Anxiety
Midterms and Grades - How to Improve Them
10 Tips for Doing Well on Finals
How to Make Sure you are In the Right Class (signing up for next semester)
Websites and Tips for Exam Studying
Nontraditional Students - 11 More Tips for Success

-Betsyanne
Former Nontraditional Student, teacher, bookseller, author, and artist

Some more Nontrad links: The Nontrad site and blog Join Nontrads on Facebook Nontrads on Yahoo Nontrads on Twitter

6 comments:

  1. These tips are really good for all students including me. Thanks and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I am doing both of my papers/presentations last minute! Ahhhhh!!! And the art class? Holy cow!! I made 2 artist books and I am supposed to have 5 done by April 27th. Hmmmm....Houston, we have a problem! I have been thinking of ways to make the work go faster with the books...making prints instead of free-handing everything and being a little less anal retentive about stuff...but I am not sure I will get it all done. Oh well...it is what it is! And yes, you are sooo right! Splitting up the due dates for parts of the assignment helps a ton!!!! Without doing that and my little agenda I call my Bible, I would be completely lost!!!! Drawback of being a non-trad...the memory isn't as crisp as it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicki: I will be thinking about you and hoping everything comes together in the end. I have not made artist books so can't give advice on that but your idea sounds solid about making prints of things. Any way you can cut down on the pages or use some twice? Just an idea. I don't envy all the time you are putting in. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support! I can't cut back on the pages because I am doing the bare minimum required. =) However, your idea of using things more than once is not only a good idea for time-management but it is a good artistic choice as well! I just saw a presentation on a guy that still, after 20 years, uses his first sketches in all of his artwork even though he has improved so much over the years! Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...and artist books are oh so fun! You can even incorporate weaving into them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would like to make artist books. I once made some teeny-mini books when I was a kid. I just love little stuff and get excited putting details on things. My next project will involve putting shiny hanging things and jewelry pieces on a hanging. I do have at least half a year to do it though, but if I know me, I will be finishing under the proverbial wire. Good luck with your projects! Can you take pictures of them and share them when they are done? I would be happy to feature them here too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment. I would love that! :-)