A new Nightline investigation - - are For-Profit Schools telling students the truth? (video)

Here is a Nightline (ABC) investigation that has been a hot topic on the Nontrad Facebook group. I know a lot of nontraditional students are going back to school online. Some find it hard to attend face-to-face classes.

But are all online, for-profit schools playing fair with nontrad students? This investigative piece will get you thinking, and should warn you that all for-profit schools are not the same. Some may try to mislead students. What do you think about it? Are you going to the University of Phoenix or another online school? Do you think these schools will be looking into the way students are treated at their schools?

Recruiters may not always have your best interests at heart. Thought it may be harder in the short run, new nontraditional students might want to consider attending a traditional school, where there is more help, and better preparation too. Many of them do have online classes, plus face-to-face classes. See what you think:

(You will be re-directed to YouTube to watch this video.)



I was sure surprised that a major school online was part of this investigation. It doesn't make them look good. I hope it does inspire some changes in the way some schools do business. I know that all school advisors are not liars, and do not try to pull one over on students.

But what I saw on this show made me feel that students should really investigate their schools themselves, and ask some good questions, like is my school accredited? Will my credits transfer? It is more important than ever that all students ask themselves, Is this the best school for me?

This makes me feel that older students need to be their own best friend, and make sure that the classes offered will do what they think they will, and help them find a good job.

-Betsyanne

Some Nontrad links: The Nontrad site and blog Join Nontrads on Facebook Nontrads on Yahoo Nontrads on Twitter

5 comments:

  1. I always knew there was something fishy about all those online schools that do nothing but spam your e-mail and act like telemarketers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. karenrowe6:18 PM

    To jump over to the polling question ~ I think its not so much about the amount of help we get from our institutions so much as it is the right kind of help. Personally I found the wording "all the help we can get" a bit offensive, like we're helpless. We don't need more help, just different help targeted to meet our unique needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, this was certainly not met to be offensive or have a double meaning. I have added two more answers to make more choices available. Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I left this reply on my blog but I wanted to post it here as well to be sure you get it),

    Thanks so much for visiting and for the comments! It is a shame that they didn't refund her money! Even if they did, how many people have been affected by this? I can't begin to imagine! It is good that this went public. Hopefully, if nothing else, it causes student-wannabe's to become more aware and cautious.

    The coding is for psychology research. More specifically, Self Determination Theory. I am knee deep in this theory and I believe in it whole-heartedly. I am not familiar with the process of medical coding (even though my good friend does that for a living) so I can't report on the similarities. I suspect it is way different. Luckily, I have been trained in the coding process and my professor is pleased with the reliability of my codes. He has asked that another student and I put our coding practices into a guideline for future coders.

    Thanks so much for the compliment on my painting!!! I am happy with it but it is so nice to hear the positive feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The school did let her have free classes, though I don't know if they have the ones she needs there. I hope the person in the video does get to become a teacher, which is her dream. I know her family would want her to be able to try.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment. I would love that! :-)