Are you deciding by yourself what classes to take?

Or, in other words, are you going it alone with your class scheduling?













I did that for a couple of years when I was a "traditional" student. Then, I learned that I had to take two classes over that I thought I didn't have to take.

It was a big, and expensive surprise.

Then it turns out that if I had gone to talk to another advisor at the school, (after finding this out) I may have been able to NOT take these courses after all. So I was doubly wrong to try to figure things out myself.

My advice is to always check your schedule with a school advisor. AND, if you hear you have to re-take courses that you think you don't have to take, go to another totally different advisor to see what can be done.

You may also learn of pre-requisites or additional classes that you need too, or alternate choices you can make, and save yourself some time and money.

Good luck next semester, nontraditional students! I hope school is going well for you. And for those who are just thinking about going back to school, what is holding you back?

Leave a comment.

-Betsyanne
Former Nontraditional Student at WKU














Some Nontrad links:

The Nontrad site and blog

 Join Nontrads on Facebook

Nontrads on Yahoo

Nontrads on Twitter 





3 comments:

  1. I heard from another nontraditional student that she brought an energy bar and an apple to school for awhile, at least until she got the lay of the land.

    That's a good suggestion too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with talking to student advisers, especially if you're a part-time student or otherwise don't fit the standard model. I took 11 years to do my undergraduate degree, and the university changed the regulations a few times during that time, so I was getting really confused trying to figure out what I needed to do to complete. In the end I talked to an advisor, and she managed to find a way through the maze, and even better, got me waivers for a couple of first-year courses I hadn't taken (because they weren't required when I should have taken) so I managed to graduate a year earlier than I'd expected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jen! So glad to get your comment today. That is a great and good surprise to graduate a year early! You must have been very glad about that. I love good news. Thanks for stopping by too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment. I would love that! :-)