Why are you going back to school? Some possible reasons.









So why did you decide to go back to school, nontraditional student? I am curious to know!

I will predict that most people will answer that they are going for their dream job, or maybe studying for a promotion at work.

But I could be wrong.

Some people just want to make more money in order to make their lives better. Some others know that "that piece of paper" stands between them and maybe a promotion. What do YOU think?

Leave a comment to let me know what YOUR reasons are.

I had a poll here first, but it would not behave correctly.

Here are the answers I put on the poll. Maybe one of these describes why YOU went back to school. Or maybe not...

- I want to improve my life and achieve my dream job.

- I want to move up the ladder at work.

- I need that "piece of paper" to get the job I want.

- I want to help the world.

- I just want to earn more money. I don't really care what I take at school.

- I have always wanted to change careers. This takes schooling.

- I am undecided which career path I will take. I am deciding later.

- I am only thinking of going back to school. I don't know if I will or not.

- I really don't know why I am back in school.

- I am doing what my family or someone else wants me to do.

 Maybe sometime I will put a poll here on this posting, but today I'll just ask what you think.

I will definitely be VERY interested to see what you think. Can you think of another answer? Please leave it after this posting, as a comment.

-Betsyanne
Former Nontraditional Student (Education)

And here are some of my Nontrad links:

 The Nontrad site and blog

Join Nontrads on Facebook

Nontrads on Yahoo

Nontrads on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. 4 year Air Force enlisted here. I failed miserably at my first University attenmpt so I took a break by joining the military. It's been almost 7 years since I graduate high school and 5 since I last attended college. I'm just excited to be in a position where a second chance is possible and I have the money (GI Bill) to use towards that. The more I read class descriptions and such, the more excited I get. I plan to start at Georgia State University in the fall of 2013. For me, I'm going back because I'm finally ready and I've learned a sense of urgency, organization and responsibility. Why wouldn't I put these skills and traits to use in bettering myself personally, academically and proffesionaly? College is a no brainer in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! Please keep me and all the other nontraditional students posted on your progress. I hope there is a group there that is active too. If there is, let me know and I will add it to the Nontrads Page. I did find a link there and this shows to me that they have nontrads there! http://www.gsu.edu/admissions/non-traditional.html. The Georgia page at the Nontrads site is here: http://www.nontradstudents.com/georgia.html and there are some scholarship links there too. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Higbee12:03 AM

    I went back to school for several reasons, too many to list actually. Part of it had to do with conclusions I made shortly before my daughter was born about a year and a half ago, and how difficult it would be to teach her how to accomplish a dream if I couldn't achieve my own. Since then I've been working towards an engineering degree, something I had previously thought I was not capable of doing (I didn't actually graduate high school). It hasn't been easy, but I've gradually learned how to be a good student and I love the subject matter. I feel more fulfilled as a poor college student than I ever did as a decently paid employee. Furthermore I find my perspective on my education journey gives me a unique appreciation for the experience compared to many of my younger classmates. The value of knowledge just can't be understated, and I think most "nontrads" should be commended for seeking it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story reminds me of what I learned as an education student. Not only was the learning great for future teaching, but I found out what helps all people learn, which was fascinating to me. Good luck with your engineering degree. I am so glad that you found something you have always wanted to learn about. Please keep in touch and let me know how it is going. And thanks for your story!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment. I would love that! :-)