Why being a nontraditional student can be hard...but worth it...

 Hi to all nontraditional students and the people that help them.

Today I ran across an article by a nontraditional student going to Stony Brook State University of New York. He is taking a full load of classes, plus helps take care of a child, cooks, does reports, researches, etc. etc.

Here is a quote from the article:

"It’s difficult, but I wouldn’t change anything either.  I know that I have to make an extra effort, but I’m happy because it’s an effort that has a reward."

So true! This resonates with many nontraditional students. I have heard others who also keep their goal in mind, no matter what.

You can read the rest of this article here:
The Difficulties of Being a Nontraditional Student.

Have you run across an article you like? List it here as a comment. Or just let us know how it is going.

Nontraditionally Yours,



And here are some more Nontrad links: The Nontrad site and blog Join Nontrads on Facebook Nontrads on Yahoo Nontrads on Twitter

6 comments:

  1. It is going great because I am on summer vacation! Although it is going by way too fast! I go back for my Master's at the end of August. The one drawback about the summer is that I have time to think and that never ends well. Here I am trying to determine if I want to go for a second Bachelor's degree! Focus, Nicki, Focus!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I can relate. I think the problem exists with people who have an imagination and are creative and smart. These people don't have just one thing that they are good at or are interested in! They have a hard time zeroing in on just one. :-)

    Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide and how school is going. I will be reading with interest!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicki, your comment just inspired a new blog posting. Thank you!

    http://non-traditional-students.blogspot.com/2011/07/nontraditional-students-are-you-trying.html

    http://goo.gl/SYgY4

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a non traditional student who just went through 4 very difficult years I can tell you that I have never been happier. Why? because I am no longer working.

    I am so happy doing what I am doing now that it no longer feels like work. And that is the best feeling in the world. When I received my first paycheck after not having one for four years I wanted to know if my salary would have been any different. And to tell you the truth, I with the economy the way it is, probably not. And this is money just during training.

    In the end, I am glad I took the leap of faith because I came out happier on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing stories like yours. Congratulations! That is so great. I am so glad that you are happy now. What great thing can somebody have in life?

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment. I would love that! :-)