YOUR best study tips...

Study Tips for Nontraditional Students - what are YOUR tips?

 I can list some of MY best study tips. And I will today. But I also would like to know yours. What helps you from day to day? What things have you learned since you started back to school?

I know that organization was key when I went back to school. Keeping everything in its place saved countless hours for me, especially when it was time to study for a quiz or test.

I no longer put every subject in the same folder. I used to think this would save time for me, because I would just grab one folder and always had paper in it no matter what.

But what would happen is that the notes from the different classes would get mixed up. And I would have to spend time moving them around too much.

Some other things that helped me as a nontraditional student were forming study groups, keeping a calendar that I carried with me all the time, sitting in the front of the class where I could hear the teacher better, getting phone numbers and names from other class members just in case, and using a highlighter on my notes.

I also used a new note-taking method, where I left a space at the left of my notes (and drew a vertical line down each page) so that I could jot down notes, add arrows, and note what the instructor said would possibly be on tests.

I also made sure I had extra pencils and pens, plus extra paper so I didn't run out. Some other students knew this and would borrow from me. I didn't mind that. I think it made me more popular!

What are some of YOUR tips and hints for studying better and smarter?
I would love to know them.

Thanks ahead of time!


-Betsyanne

Some Nontrad links: The Nontrad site and blog Join Nontrads on Facebook Nontrads on Yahoo Nontrads on Twitter

9 comments:

  1. This might sound a little nutty, but when I am studying from a textbook, I might read a small section, and then "lecture" on it (to the wall, or the lamp, or whatever). If I have a handle on the material, then this is no problem. But if I don't get it, then this method seems to immediately uncover the fact that I don't know it well enough. In that case, it is time to re-read the section, and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea! It reminds me of what I learned in Teacher Education classes... teach it, learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:12 AM

    Your tips are good ones. I think time management is the biggest key. To keep me on top of all my assignments for the week, I list them on a single page in a small notebook, with a checkbox by each one. This includes readings, essays, postings in online forums, and even checkboxes for responses to classmates' posts. At a glance I can see where I stand for the week. I'm a veteran list-maker, and I love to check off those boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have separate folders for each subject and plastic sleeves for lecture notes; always have my diary with me; sit at the front of the lecture hall and be sure not to sit with anyone too chatty! Having said all that - you should see my study desk! I like to call it ordered chaos - when I'm working. When I'm not working on an assignment - it's pristine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes some time but I actually improved my grade by a whole letter by doing this for one class. I read the material in the book before class before class WITHOUT A PEN OR HIGHLIGHTER IN MY HAND. After class, I go back with a pen or highlighter and highlight points mentioned in class. I then make notes on paper of all the highlights. It is time-consuming but it does work to retain the information. Also, I don't know many of the words I read. Instead of skipping them like I used to, I now cirle the word in the book, look up the meaning and write the meaning in the margin of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicki, this is a great method. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:10 PM

    I am interested in your take on the preparedness of nontraditional students for the ever-increasing technology-laden course work. I find that many nontraditional students lack the basic computer literacy and struggle especially during their first semester. Have you had the same experiences? Or, do you know nontraditional students who need tutoring for technology? I am trying to get a sense of the gap in computer literacy between tradtional and nontraditional students. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found there were only 2 nontraditional students who had trouble with technology. Some other students stepped up to help.

    Still, they wished they had taken a computer course before the speech class they were in.

    I think better advising could have helped in this case. But most are acclimating OK, especially if they are already tech-savvy.

    We definitely need to alert nontrads to this possible difficulty. Good comment!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment. I would love that! :-)