You can't peg a non-traditional student


Each non-traditional student is different. I think we all agree on that.

But some younger students can disagree.

The perception I get from some younger students is that we (older people - older students) are all alike!

Here are some things that I think younger students can believe about non-traditional students:

1. We are set in our ways (definitely NOT true)

2. We don't have a sense of humor (ditto)

3. We don't want to make friends in class (the opposite is true)

4. We don't understand them (well... this can be true sometimes...)

5. We love being a teacher's pet. (simply nonsense. Of course, we do listen to the teacher most times, which can be confusing to some other students.)

I think if younger students got to know us, they would know that we are just like them - different in every way from a stereotypical older student.

Every non-traditional student is an individual, and prides him or herself on being such, just like younger students do.

I made some very good younger friends while I was back in school. They taught me that I can't put younger students in any box either. Younger students are also individuals, and proud of it.

I think it will be awhile before attitudes (like #1-5, above) change. It will take lots and lots of new non-traditional students joining younger ones in class.

The younger students will be able to observe the older ones close up, and they will realize very soon that there is not that much difference between them and us.

I think we can learn a lot from each other, and that we bring a lot to each class we are in.

What do you all think? Do you agree with me?

5 comments:

  1. I think you are absolutely right about many of these perceptions. I might disagree that the attitudes will ever really change, since the generational gap seems to widen rather than shrink. But you allude to something powerful: that traditional and nontraditional students can learn a lot from each other.

    If we non-trads have advantages, I think they come not from maturity itself but from maturity's many ingredients: patience, observation, commitment, etc.

    The best exchanges between any students are certainly those in which classmates are treated like peers. When nontrads and trad students meet each other eye to eye, then the generational gap becomes invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your point about times that "the generation gap becomes invisible..." what a great observation.

    I think that people need to try to LET that invisibility happen sometimes. What a great point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND...

    Some great advantages of being a YOUNGER student are:

    1. Not being stuck in one way of thinking - more flexible about the gray areas of life

    2. Not taking oneself too seriously - knowing how to lighten up

    3. Valuing friendship and new experiences

    Your comments really made me think. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working at a nontraditional college and being a nontraditional student myself, I feel that the definition of a nontraditional student is growing. Some of us are on the younger end, some on the older. We are international, we are part-time, we are full-time, we are professionals and we are stay-at-home parents.

    It's an exciting time to be a nontraditional student because I truly believe we are on the leading edge of a changing wave in higher education. We are pretty powerful, folks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree, Zephyros, that traditional and nontraditional students can learn a lot from each other. And what a great observation about maturity's ingredients. Thank you for posting! This gives me food for thought and is very insightful.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment. I would love that! :-)