Today's Nontrads pay too much to go back to school - some thoughts...

Hello, nontraditional students and those who help them. 

I am downtown today at the Pots Place today in beautiful Bowling Green Kentucky. I ran across a newspaper article yesterday. Another Kentucky University is raising its tuition prices, because they are facing a shortfall in State funding.

Is this happening at your school? I hope not, but it could very well be happening all over. And we may also have a hike in interest rates for those going back to school too.

I wish it weren't happening.

For some, going to a less expensive school or a community college can be an answer. For others, getting a loan via the regular avenues (Stafford, etc.) will be the answer.

It's just not feasible for many students to just say, "Oh, well... I guess I'd better wait to go back to school..." because they may NEED the extra training to get a good job.

Yes, it's easy to be pessimistic about going back to school right now. But many people are taking the chance and doing it anyway.

My advice? Be careful. Make sure all your credits transfer if you are going to try a for-profit school or a community college even, or if you are taking an online class. Make sure that the job outlook is good for what you want to learn. And remember that you will be needing to pay your student loan off when you are out of school.

I would love it if we could all go back to school and have it be low-cost, or even free. Maybe some day this will happen. After all, it's good for the country to have well-educated citizens.

What are YOUR plans? Are you in school already?

Share your thoughts about today's school costs below as a comment.

Betsyanne 

Former Nontrad Student (who took Education classes at WKU)
and Current Nontrad Student (taking pottery classes at The Pots Place)


Some Nontrad links: The Nontrad site and blog
Join Nontrads on Facebook
Nontrads on Yahoo
Nontrads on Twitter

6 comments:

  1. My name is Wendy and I am not a frequent blogger. I am blogging for school actually and I find it very difficult. I came across your website and blog and found most of the topics very interesting. I am a nontrad and I am interested in learning about others and how they cope with the expenses of education and family life. I am currently in school for my Doctorate and I am afraid of how much money I will owe when I am done. It is hard to pay for school and other things at the same time. I have deferred my loans for so long now that I have exhausted the limit that they allow you to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a frequent blogger. I am blogging for school actually and I find it very difficult. I came across your website and blog and found most of the topics very interesting. I am a nontrad and I am interested in learning about others and how they cope with the expenses of education and family life. I am currently in school for my Doctorate and I am afraid of how much money I will owe when I am done. It is hard to pay for school and other things at the same time. I have deferred my loans for so long now that I have exhausted the limit that they allow you to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Shalonda. How awesome that you are going for your doctorate. I would also be nervous in this economic climate about student loans. I wish they were easier to pay or that the State or country paid for higher education. I admire you for going for your dream. You may want to join the Nontrads on Yahoo or Facebook too. Thank you for writing a comment! I hope things get easier for you. Maybe a scholarship or a grant will come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. It is giving me a hard time when trying to post.

    I have not applied for any scholarship or grant. I never really thought about it but may I should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Virgil Adkins6:48 PM

    Hi Shalonda,

    I read your comments to the original post and I realized that we are “rowing the same boat” in some areas. First of all, congratulations on taking the huge step of pursuing a Doctorate level degree. That is always a commendable and admirable undertaking. As a fellow Nontrad, I too logged on to this site as a result of an educational requirement. However, I am getting so much more out of the process than merely completing an educational requirement. My foray into blogging (with this current assignment) has opened my eyes to the resources, networking, and sharing of ideas that are possible through this form of social media. I am not a member of any social networks, so wading into the blogging waters has proven to be an excellent initial exposure for me.

    With regards to your comments and concerns Shalonda, I do understand your anxieties about your student loans. I too am incurring student loan debt in an effort to subsidize my Doctoral education. The bright light at the end of the tunnel for me is that I am currently employed in a well-paying job with the federal government. So, even though I will incur the debt, I don’t have the accompanying worry of “how” I am going to repay the debt once I am done. Shalonda, I am 100% confident that the right employment opportunity will come your way along with your increased educational credentials and that you will subsequently be able to repay the debt that you are incurring.

    Lastly, I would offer you the opportunity to divert your attention and your worries regarding your student loan debt away from your mind for a little while, and to focus on the plethora of positive outcomes that will result from you as an individual achieving this lofty goal. Please read my post and comments on this topic, and you will then be reminded of all of the great opportunities, situations, and legacies that are created simply by one individual completing his or her advanced or terminal degrees. Please read it and take some degree of comfort in my words in my posting, Best wishes with everything Shalonda!

    Virgil Adkins

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Virgil

    Thanks for your comments and concerns. Congratulations on your Doctoral degree also. I worry but I do not let it get in my way. I know that it will all pay off in the end. My main worry these days is my research.

    Thanks again

    Shalonda

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment. I would love that! :-)