Just curious... do you keep your books?

I have been curious about this for awhile. 

Do you keep your books after you complete a class?

This photo is by Mr. Thomas on Flickr.











I know of people who always sell their books. I guess I think I may need my books someday, so I keep them. I guess I am thinking if I win the lottery or get a scholarship, I may want to take more advanced classes, go for my Master's or Doctorate someday?

I may be keeping my books for sentimental reasons, to remember my classes and teachers, or how it felt to be a nontraditional student going back to school after a break.

I did finally get rid of some old school books that I knew would never be used again last year. I felt good about that. But so far, I haven't felt the need to get rid of the newer ones.

What do you think? Should people keep their class books?

Betsyanne
Former Nontraditional Student
WKU

Another thought: Even though some people get their books online or rent them nowadays, I like the feeling of a real book in my hands, so even if they were expensive (which they are) I think as long as there is an option of getting the book, I will. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I keep anything that I'll be likely to use again, and like you, things with sentimental value. If I had it to do all over again I probably would have kept my math books, as I'm having to re-learn a lot of stuff for statistics now that I'm going for my Ph.D in Higher Ed. That said, I'm pretty addicted to books. Maybe it's a college blogger thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep all of my psychology books because I know I will want to refer back to them being a psych student. I sold back all other books because even if they looked interesting, I knew I wouldn't ever open them up again in reality. I am glad I kept my psych books and because I am a non-trad, they are not stupidly outdated. My daughter is taking AP psych now and will begin college in the fall with a major in psych. Those books have certainly come in handy with her as well!!!!!! Happy New Year, dear friend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Nicki! Your daughter is a chip off the old block! How cool is that? I hope you have a wonderful year too in 2012.:-) It has been so fun getting to know you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not if I don't have to. And I prefer to rent my books if I can so usually they go back to Chegg. I get really annoyed when I have to buy custom books that I can't sell back.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment. I would love that! :-)