Why today is so exciting for nontraditional students

Hard times, yes... but exciting times too.



















Just think about it. Just a generation or two ago, most people were hard put to figure out how they were going to go back to school. Most people just gave up their dreams. Some fought for them, and worked their way to the top of whatever dream they had. Others (including many women) gave up their chances in order to help somebody else in the family get that diploma or degree. Or they just did what they had to do. Period.

Now things have opened up in a good way in the last 20 years or so. People now have some choices they never had before. Choices to go back to school, to go to school for the first time, to change their minds about their lives, and to honor their families by being the first to go to college or trade school.

Age need not be a barrier to a dream today. More and more older, nontraditional students are deciding to try something else out. Some are taking teaching training, others are completing high school online, receiving a GED that will help them get a long-awaited raise. Many are raising families, working, AND going back to school online or in person.

I believe that it is an exciting time today. Yes, it IS a hard time for many, but it is also a time of opportunity. It is the time for everyone to ask, am I doing what I want to do with the rest of my life? Maybe now is the time you can change your course, and make fundamental changes in your life that could mean greater happiness for you and the ones you love.

Think about it. Really.

-Betsyanne













 Some of my links!

The Nontrad site and blog
The Betsyanne page and blog
My Squidoo Pages and referral

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with this post. I am a returning college student after 35 years in the "real world". The opportunities today to reach your lifelong goals of a college education are huge. Going to school at an advanced age opens up your mind to new possibilities. Your brain is a "use it or loose it" kind of thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is very insightful and well written! I highly agree with your post and I think that today opportunities for everyone to fulfill their dreams is open! I am also a student and have to admit life today is much more open than it was before! I feel happy that I can actually become what I want to be! Overall an excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hardest part of the humans life is the most exciting part of his life...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is certainly the "blessing" side of technology. The option of earning a degree online now lets people who once did not have the flexibility to learn in a format that fits their schedules. You no longer have to decide between a job and school - you can have both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a non-trad and I think there are actually some benefits to going to college now as opposed to when I was young and stupid. (Not at all saying all young people are stupid....I myself was stupid when I was young)! I finally (at the age of 36) figured out what I want to be when I grow up and I am working hard toward that goal! However!!!! One MUST have a sense of humor should one decide to take the plunge especially if it will be full-time. Full-time students are mostly 18-22 yrs old and if you can laugh at yourself often, you will do just fine!!!! Follow me at www.non-trad-diaries.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so true! Many of us do have great opportunities even when things feel so hard. Keeping this in mind is crucial to helping ourselves pull through this tough time.
    I like many have had a rough couple of years recently. My husband and I were just commenting on how if we could see what was coming our way we'd have probably made different choices. But we're both glad that we made some decisions which really helped us in the long run, despite how much they've cost us in stress, money, and much more.

    We've decided to look around us at the things we have and be thankful. There are really opportunities all around us.

    Keep looking up,

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone. I really DO appreciate your comments so much. Go nontrads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:20 PM

    As an online university admissions advisor, I have the wonderful responsibility of helping these individuals acheive their goals and dreams. With lay-offs and rising unemployment being the words of the day, many of these folks who were once successful and career-minded have found they've reached a dead end. I am very grateful for the opportunity to help these non-traditional students realize its never too late to carve a new path.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betsyanne- What an inspirational post! As a Director for a Success Center for online students to receive assistance, the moment I love most is when a new student walks in and sees students their own age going back to school too. The relief spreads over their face, followed shortly by determination- now that they know they aren’t alone, it’s time to make their education work for them. Not only does going back to school make you more marketable in a scary economy, but I am amazed by the strength I see in these students every day. I can’t tell you how inspiring it is to see these students grow from their shaky first days trying to figure out how to do online schooling into confident, experienced students that feel like they can take on the world.

    Thanks for this post; it shows that the means are out there, and that people can work to achieve their goals while still living their lives and working to support themselves and their families.

    Bethany Irvin
    Director, Success Center-Chicago
    American InterContinental University

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment. I would love that! :-)